Wednesday, September 2, 2015

ON UNCERTAINTY

I've changed. The fact that I've allowed myself to come to an unfamiliar place without a plan, and I mean absolutely no plan at all, is off-base but surprisingly not uncomfortable. I've almost intentionally disallowed myself to plan ahead this time around, and, it's come to the point where I nearly believe that a) I don't need a plan and b) I am a horrible planner (lie of the devil). Structure, order, and a certainty is always safe but the Bay is teaching me that life isn't always gloriously in-order, and heck, it doesn't have to be. I go to sleep with a general sense of tomorrow, but wake up playing it entirely by ear. What has happened? I can't say I know for sure, but in all honesty it's been an enjoyable ride. 

Society prizes security by means of certainty, but there are moments during my car rides when the vastness of the California ocean tells me that life is much to grandiose to have entirely mapped out. "Responsibility" and "effectiveness" is not being put on the burner here, but I'd like to think that practicing this kind of spontaneity is teaching me a thing or two about trust and enjoyment. And indeed, these days more than ever, I find a simmering sense of wonder, anticipation and fun in the unknown aspects of what lies ahead (both for longterm and for tomorrow). We hold steadfast to our commitments and goals but the road ahead is pregnant with possibility. That, to me is hella scary but also very, very hella exciting. (Bay lingo? Yes). Truth be told, you just neva know, you neva know.

Here are some moments birthed from the unplanned of my trip:

  Having the best cold brew in a beautiful space
 A stroll down downtown Oakland
 Strolling through the raw areas of West Oakland
  Indian Rock for breathtaking sunset moments + hilarious happenings
  Being carless so riding the good ol' Bart
 Fusion tacos at "Belly" and realizing that the owners are related to Mr. Cali Kitchen in Korea (But really, what are the odds?)
 Scoping out for white walls with the detail-oriented + like-minded
Blue Bottle Coffee (nuff' said)

No comments:

Post a Comment