Monday, June 30, 2014

Rooftop Glory

Alas, something very fulfilling. I was sitting through a training session last week and thought, "Okay. No more bland summers." To associate Korean summers to hot, humid, unbearable, humid, humid and humid for another passing season was going to make me very unhappy. So I decided to put my leisurely pursuit of "event planning" to use and incorporate food, summery decor, and my very quintessential rooftop. And so, just a few text messages + creative ideas later, I opted for a mini rooftop dinner party.


"Dancing in the moonlight" (my ultimate summer feel-good song) was playing all morning and afternoon. I made a quick run to "Daiso," the Korean version of "Discount Dollar," and picked up some mason jars because as every artistically inclined person knows, mason jars make everything that much cuter. And of course, on the way home these white beauties caught my eye and to my demise, I bought a massive bunch of flowers for only 4,000 won (equivalent to $4, what a steal!)    



The menu? Grilled brats with onion and bell pepper + chicken pesto pasta + stuffed avocados + salad and sangria with fresh fruit. My favorite part of the menu was the avocados, inspired by my sister, Faith Koh. (Weren't they so pretty?) And, I was well-pleased with how the mason jars had visually spruced up my sangria to make it fit for a casual summer. I'll be brutally honest, good food with bad visuals to me is just bad food. I'm glad it all somehow worked out. On a slight tangent — there is a market strip I swear by with vegetables par excellence in quality and price (Mangwon Station line 6)! 


This must will happen again. If I could somehow make it my job to plan and conceptualize "neat dinner parties" for a living, I wouldn't refuse a buck for it. Ideating, creating, and executing definitely brings me fulfillment. Next time I'll hopefully take ideas and catapult them onto the next level of execution. Some lights and music to compensate for the not-so-great view, and...maybe some dancing in the moonlight perhaps? 

1 comment: